Garage Door Opener Installation: What You Should Know
When it’s time for you to install a new garage door opener at your home, you may not know where to begin or how to choose the right one. There are such wide varieties of openers available on the market it can be time-consuming to research the best options and the need-to-know information about garage door opener installation. We want to make your life easier by breaking down this information into five easy steps.
Step 1: Consider Weight Capacity And Choose The Correct Horsepower
The horsepower needed for your garage door depends on its size and weight. Larger and heavier doors need a more powerful garage door opener. Most residential garage doors are paired with a ½ horsepower opener. Larger and heavier doors require an opener with ¾ to 1 horsepower. This additional power will help the garage door work more efficiently. If in doubt, it’s always best to opt for a garage door opener with higher horsepower.
Step 2: Compare Different Types Of Drive Styles
An important thing to consider when choosing a garage door opener is the type of drive style. Each drive style has advantages, and you should consider your unique needs when choosing the best option for your garage door.
- Chain Drive- Chain drives are the most common and affordable option. They operate with a metal chain and a trolly system, which makes them noisy. They also tend to require more maintenance.
- Belt Drive- Running on rubber belts, this drive style boasts quiet garage door operation. Belt drives last longer than other drives because fewer vibrations decrease wear and tear. They are more expensive than chain drives.
- Screw Drive- With fewer moving parts, screw drive openers require less maintenance. They’re best suited for large, heavy doors. They are quieter than chain drives, but not as quiet as belt drives.
Step 3: Decide What Modern Safety And Security Features You Want
Most garage door openers come with basic safety and security features. High-quality openers have more modern features that can make you and your family safer. Decide what safety and security features are non-negotiable, which will help you narrow down your search.
- Garage Door Sensors- Laser sensors installed on the sides of the garage door recognize movements or objects in their path. The sensors will stop the garage door from moving if anything crosses its path.
- Automatic Reversing System- If the garage door comes in contact with any object while closing, it will automatically reverse.
- Rolling Code Security Technology- This modern security feature enables you to change the code on your remote each time you use the garage door. Protect your home from unauthorized entry.
- Manual Release- Have the ability to open a garage door manually during a power outage or other emergencies with manual release.
- Battery Backups- Stay safe during extreme weather! Battery backups keep your garage door opener operational during power outages.
Step 4: Think About Technology Features And Convenience
Garage door openers that include modern technology features make your life easier!
- Smartphone Capabilities- Open and close your garage door from anywhere using an app on your smartphone.
- Diagnostic Features- Receive alerts when there’s an issue with your garage door.
- Keypad- Open and close your garage door using a code on a keypad attached to the outside of your garage.
Step 5: Trust The Leading Garage Door Opener Brand: LiftMaster!
LiftMaster garage door openers are far superior to any other brand in the industry. They are durable and long-lasting and offer many safety, security, and technology features that can’t be beaten. Our team at Bearfoot Garage Doors has completed countless garage door opener installations and repairs on numerous brands and models. We are proud to partner with Liftmaster, the leading garage door opener brand.
Garage door openers have such a crucial job! With a quality opener, a garage door will open and close quickly, quietly, and smoothly. It’s wise to invest in a garage door opener that’s built to last.
Congrats! You’re Ready To Choose A Garage Door Opener
Now that you know all the basic steps of choosing a new garage door opener, all that’s left to do is contact your local garage door service company and schedule a consultation! Our garage door specialists at Bearfoot Garage Doors are happy to answer any questions about garage door opener installation. If you live near Pagosa Springs, CO, or Durango, CO, contact us today!